Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program
WIC is a special nutrition education and supplementary feeding program for women, infants and children under 5 years old. The services we offer include:
- Financial assistance for the purchase of certain healthy foods
- Nutrition advice
- References for vaccinations and health care
In addition to these services, we offer breastfeeding support for new moms through our Certified Lactation Consultants and Peer Breastfeeding Counselors. It is recommended that infants be exclusively breastfed for the first six months of life, and we can help you overcome common breastfeeding barriers so that you can be as successful as possible in meeting this recommendation. We can also help you adapt your breastfeeding routine for the return to school or work.
WIC also offers an infant feeding line 7 days a week to provide support on topics such as breastfeeding, bottle feeding, breast care and expression by our breastfeeding staff. Call us! We are here to help you.
Infant feeding line: 352-513-6060
WIC Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for the WIC, you must have a total household income equal to or less than the amounts listed in the WIC Revenue Guidelines and be a resident of Florida. You are automatically eligible for income if you are currently receiving any of the following:
- Medical help
- Temporary financial assistance
- Food aid
How to register:
To apply for a WIC, call the Lecanto office at (352) 527-8490, the Inverness office at (352) 726-5222, or call, toll-free, 1-800-342-3556 and ask apply for a WIC.
What to bring to your WIC certification visit:
- Each family member applying for WIC services.
- Proof of ALL income for all household members (income before taxes and deductions). Income includes items such as: wages, child support, alimony, foster care payments, interest withdrawn, unemployment benefits, and military income.
- If you receive any of the assistance listed above, we may verify your enrollment in these programs. It is helpful to bring the current “Case Action Notice” letter.
- ONE proof of your place of residence (not a PO Box). The document must be up to date and show your name and address. Examples include a utility bill, bank/insurance statement, or driver’s license.
- ONE proof of identity for you and ONE proof of identity for any infant or child applying for WIC. This may include birth certificates, driver’s licenses, crib cards, military ID, photo ID, social security cards, or hospital records.
- WIC Medical Referral Form, if your doctor has completed one.
- Social security number for each person applying for WIC, if available.
- Vaccination (injection) record for each child, if available.
Locations and hours of operation
The WIC is available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed for lunch from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.):
Lecanto Office: 3700 W. Sovereign Path, Lecanto, FL 34461
Inverness Office: 130 N. Montgomery Ave., Inverness, FL 34450