The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services announced Friday that the Food and Nutrition Services Program has expanded participation in the FNS Online Shopping Program from seven retailers to 11. FNS Recipients can access these 11 online retailers to make food purchases with their electronic benefit transfer. maps.
Authorized retailers in North Carolina that accept FNS EBT payments online are:
- Big BJ Club
- Carlie C’s
- Compare Foods Clayton (new entrant)
- Deep Roots Market (new participant)
- Earth Fare (new participant)
- Lion food
- Piggly Wiggly of Kinston, NC (HWY 258 N) (new entrant)
FNS participants can use their EBT cards to purchase eligible food items from online retailers. Any additional charges that are not food items, such as service and delivery charges, cannot be paid for with EBT benefits. The FNS participant will have to pay the additional fees with another method of payment, such as a debit or credit card.
The online purchasing options for FNS participants offer several advantages, such as:
- Allow attendees to purchase food while promoting social distancing to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- Helping families overcome transport and mobility barriers to access food benefits
- Enable attendees to shop easily and efficiently from home
- Help participants easily compare prices and maximize benefits
The US Department of Agriculture must approve retailers who wish to participate in the FNS online shopping program. NCDHHS encourages other EBT retailers to obtain USDA approval to become Authorized Online Retailers. All North Carolina EBT retailers have received information from the USDA on how to be approved for online FNS purchases. More information for retailers is available on the USDA website.
In May 2020, North Carolina became one of the first 10 states to implement online purchasing for FNS.
For more information about North Carolina Food and Nutrition Services, go to www.ncdhhs.gov/FNS, and North Carolina individuals and families can apply for FNS at epass.nc.gov.